NamoBuddha Pilgrimage

NamoBuddha Pilgrimage
Have you ever heard of the story about the King Bayan Deer? It tells a story of sacrifice, compassion, generosity, and even suffering as the King discovered empathy through the actions of others. There are so many symbolic icons and representations in the Buddhist and Hindu faiths, it is extraordinary and inevitable to examine our own thoughts and actions.

Buddhist Prayer Flags

Buddhist Prayer Flags
Traditionally, Buddhist prayer flags can be found in the Himalayas Mountains, along rooftops, even embedded in the flora of a country. They are hung to bless the countryside, those that are living nearby, and serve many other purposes. They traditionally come in five colors, which represent the Five Elements: sky (blue), air/wind (white), fire (red), water (green), Earth (yellow). Tibetan Buddhists believe that once all of the elements have reached a balance, good health and harmony will follow. Although many believe that the flags carry prayers, that is a common misunderstanding. In fact, there are mantras written across the prayer flags and in addition to saying the mantras, prayers are offered up for those that hang the flags for lifelong blessings. The best time to hang the flags is in the morning, preferably when the sun is shining and the wind is blowing; therefore the wind can carry compassion and good will to all within its reach. After traveling through Buddhist communities, I noticed that some prayer flags looked brand new while others were old, tattered, and faded. Just as Buddhists have accepted the journey of life through aging, so the flags are treated the same. Alongside of old, faded flags will hang new ones. The old ones are not taken down, burned, or thrown away because of the sanctity of the mantras and symbols. Each colored flag has an image or a name of the four powerful animals, better known as "Four Dignities". Perhaps you can see them on various Buddhist flags, but they are the dragon, garuda, tiger, and snowlion. How colorful and beautiful!

One-horned Nepali Rhino Mother and Calf

One-horned Nepali Rhino Mother and Calf
Truly an opportunity! Rare, but this is why you ride an elephant through the jungle because the elephant can navigate through dense jungle pathways and conceal the human scent in order to capture this wonderful occasion of observing one of Nepal’s species that are on the rebound in re-populating numbers, previously close to extinction!

Monday, June 23, 2014

My First Day at School!

So I woke up with jitters, nerves, and uncertainty, not knowing what to expect in my first day at the school.  I think once I sat down to observe my first class, I felt a little better.  However, the process leading up to that point was full of silence, the perception that I was shy, and, I'm sure, a little discontent amongst teachers that don't want to change their very easy routine.  When I met the headmaster, a.k.a. head principal, he wouldn't even look at me.  In fact, he kept his back to me during introductions.  He spoke only to Ganga, and after speaking with my roommate, Heather, we both gathered he is not very fond of women as equal status.  

In the planning room, I asked an English teacher if there was Internet, as this was what I was told, and, without looking at me, she responded with "In Nepal, we speak up.  Now please repeat your question."  I know that was a hierarchy pecking order response, letting me know where I stand, but, again, as Ganga told us to always remember, we are here for the students, not to impress the teachers.  If they climb aboard, then great!  If not, it's the students that will benefit from us.  He used the infamous story of the starfish.  

I met the assistant headmaster, who is pretty fluent in English, and I was told he is like the "Don" of this community and school, for those of you who are familiar with 'The Godfather'.  He carries himself in such a way, but, again, he has been helpful, which is all that matters.  

I was given 4 classes to teach: my first class is reading, writing, and speaking with 12th graders, who have no set curriculum or book, so I'm under the impression that you bring any topic to the table.

In the later morning, early afternoon, I teach grades 3, 4, and 2, respectively, which is a big change from the young adults I'm used to working with, but it seems all exciting as they exhibit high energy and a value in learning.  Then, on Fridays, I will be running a workshop in the morning, before my classes, to teach young adults, current teachers, and teachers-in-the-making teaching strategies and management.  I'm not sure what to use for this workshop, so I figured I would start off as an open forum and go from there.

When I sat in on the classes, which are English classes, only one teacher actually spoke in English while the other spoke in Nepali and expected the students to respond in English.  They have very basic government-administered lesson books, which are about huge size of a small composition book in the states, and teachers show up, use the book for a very basic lesson, spend about 15 minutes, or so, checking a few lines students have written in their books and then it's the end of the period.

The most upsetting observation is that there are very bright students, but since teachers don't plan, nor are they expected to, what you give is what you get.  I sat in the planning room to plan, and teachers sat in the planning room to chat and carry nothing on them except a correcting pen and a white board marker.  

I went to observe my last class and when I arrived, she was finished with her lesson, but gave me the lesson book and told me I need to teach chapter 4 tomorrow.  There was a miscommunication regarding time; in addition, this program is designed to co-teach and work side by side with Nepalese English teachers, however, I already have the feeling that they are going to disappear and use the next six weeks as time off from their English classes.  

I already have one of my lessons planned for tomorrow, however, it's grades 2 and 3 I really need to look at much further and generate some activities.  It's more difficult when you have nothing to work with, unless you buy it at the stationary store, which is along my walk to school.  I will need to figure out what I need and purchase it sometime this week.

Anyway, I'm off to plan.  It should be an interesting first week of school!

5 comments:

  1. It sounds like your host family is wonderful, which I'm sure is really nice to come home to after teaching all day. The students will love you and will probably find your topics different and exciting! I can't wait to hear all the stories about you teaching elementary school kids. Are the older students always respectful and appreciative of their teachers? Are there any behaviors that are similar to teenagers in the United States?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like your host family is amazing, which is probably wonderful to come home to after teaching all day. I can't wait to hear all the stories of you teaching elementary. They are going to be too cute! Are the older students similar to our students? Do they respect and appreciate their teachers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Holly,
    Thanks so much for sharing! It seems like your students are great. I'm wondering if the girls get the same amount of educational benefits and access as the boys. You mentioned that the headmaster did not even look at you, so I'm wondering what kind of effect that has on the female students.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! Thanks for following along on this experience! The older students are very modest and tend to be quiet, always careful not to offend, speak out of line, and I have yet to see a belligerent student. Corporal punishment is very common in the schools of Nepal, so if a student received a physical beating or slap for misbehaving, disobeying, not doing their work, most likely they would receive a harsher punishment upon arriving home because their actions reflect the family's reputation.

    In addition, the temperament of the students is much more laid back and peaceful, despite their living conditions, circumstances at home, etc. They have been very pleasant to interact with and hold very mature conversations. I've really enjoyed working with the level 12 students and you can really see the maturity gaps and growth differences between my younger classes and my level 12. They have all been a joy in their own way and manner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Steve!
    Thanks for your question and I'm so glad you've ended the blog thus far!
    Your question is a little complicated to answer, but I'll give a whirl! So far, in my own experience, I have not seen any level of gender discrimination within the school setting, however, in my level 12 class, as the days continue, I'm seeing less females and more males show. When you get to the older classes, many of the girls' marriages have already been arranged and so many of them will be married by 17, sometimes 18, and some of my students already have children. So, unfortunately, their emphasis on school decreases as their roles in the home and family setting increases.
    In the villages, where I am stationed, due to the Maoist insurgency, there are many orphaned, abused, and impoverished children, so education for some of them is not as important a eking out a living to get by. If parents did not receive an education, or dropped out early, they may not see the value in the education, so students may stay home to help out at the house, find sources of income to contribute to the family's expenses, and receive very little assistance, if any, from their families.
    As far as the headmaster (head principal) is concerned, I had received what I perceived to be a rude and cold introduction, however, since that day, the headmaster has acknowledged my presence, says hello and asks how I am doing, and remembers my name. So, for me, that is a positive step forward!
    Many of the teachers have warmed up to me since my first week and have given me compliments, some wave to me, and one has invited me to her home for chia (tea) and walked me home yesterday. So I am definitely feeling better about how I have been received in the school.
    I haven't noticed the headmaster treating any of the students differently based on gender and the assistant headmaster speaks kindly to both genders as he passes them by, so I don't notice anyone treated as a second class citizen based upon gender, but I will say that the caste orders are very clear and how one interacts with another (on an adult level) is very transparent!

    ReplyDelete

My Parting Gifts

My Parting Gifts
A parting gift from two of my students that worked so hard to create this beautiful piece of art that I can't wait to hang in my room next year!! Thank you so much for a wonderful year! You have touched my heart immensely!

Ganesha Chair

Ganesha Chair
What a gorgeous expression of art! Thank you so much!

Map of Nepal